Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/10/23 19:46, David Christensen wrote:
On 11/8/23 02:20, gene heskett wrote:
But before I do yet another reinstall, 24th or so. two of the sata 2t's are installed, and I'm tempted to rsych the raid to one of them to see if reassigning /home to a copy of /home does away with this horrible lag I'm wanting to blame on the raid10.

Testing your applications for file system issues using a single non-RAID device with one partition and an ext4 file system is a good trouble-shooting technique.  But, see my next comment.

They are empty except for the ext4 install and if pvcreate just slams the new format regardless, I'll rsync the 2T /home back to the raid10, and unplug that controller before I put the install dvd in. I also have another sata controller, this one with all 16 ports installed.

And I just looked at tht pair, and acc gparted they have both been pvcreated, so I'll leave then alone and steal the dvd cable, puttin a new 2T drive if I can rig power to it.

As I previously suggested, and as you previously seemed agreeable to, I think you should stop working on the Asus and build a backup server.

I'm thinking of making a slow one out of a headless bananapi-5 with a 2T on every usb3 port as a raid, type to be determined, I rather like the idea of parity being striped across all 4 disks. I have the drives but not sure of the usb-sata adapters, need to goto the garage and retrieve that box. That, and there's only one of me ;o)> And me is 89 yo with a worn out body. A pacemaker and some new parts in my heart too.

Startech adapters are working very well to a pair of smaller SSD's on the rpi4b that runs my old (80+) Sheldon 11"x54" lathe, teaching it new tricks it never dreamed of doing 80+ years ago. Metric or imperial, it doesn't care. Even cuts threads I've invented. I have a complete linuxcnc buildbot on that pi. The latest bpi runs at 2 gigahertz which is about twice as fast as the pi's.

Thanks for the advice, ATM I'm trying to bring a big new 80 lb 3d printer to life. If it works well I might throw some more sheckles into a farm of them.

Good disaster preparedness expedites system operations, maintenance, and change -- because you can take risky steps and recover if those steps fail.

This mobo also claims to be able to do the intel version of a raid on its own sata ports.  Does anyone here have experience doing that?

Yes, but I prefer software RAID -- because I can move the disks to another computer with different hardware and the arrays will still work.  Hardware RAID typically requires compatible hardware.

David

.
Understood before hand.  Thanks David, take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis