Re: Mailutils+nullmailer: sender full name

Op 20-10-2023 om 05:10 schreef David Wright:
On Thu 19 Oct 2023 at 13:30:53 (+0200), Gertjan Klein wrote:
I don't intend to send mail from this machine myself, I want mail from
the system (e.g. unattended-upgrades) delivered to my personal
mailbox.

I wouldn't expect /then/ to see my name, or likely anything at all
from /etc/passwd. Rather, I would expect system programs to set their
own From: address, either read from configuration file or hard-wired
into the program itself

I wouldn't expect my gklein changes to be used by system mails either. Just for fun, I did try to configure .mailrc for root, but that made no difference (at least for unattended-upgrades). But the default root@ address, with or without a name, is fine with me. I did have to add a root@ mail alias in my provider settings though, otherwise it rejects the system mail.

It would be interesting to know whether the correct addresses were
being generated by /system/ emails when you were still using
mailutils; and whether they are, now that you're using bsd-mailx.

II did not receive system emails when I was still using mailutils. I reconfigured unattended-upgrades to always send mail, and forced a run:

$ sudo unattended-upgrade -d

This gets me a mail with From being just "root@parvos.nl". I don't really mind.

Kind regards,
Gertjan.