Re: Git for backup storage

On 10/7/23 01:51, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 01:44:34PM -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
Something I played with recently was
https://packages.debian.org/stable/vcs/git-filter-repo

Yes, it does work. My typical use case is when someone has put a
password in the repo you don't even want to have in the history.

But you aren't going to use that in a Git backup with gigabytes
of data, believe me :-)

But you definitely want to run tests on real data before you decide
that deleting old data saves your anything, particularly with respect
to time.

If git is so efficient at storing this kind of data, then what do you
expect to gain by deleting old stuff, outside of a smaller log to go
through?

The backup idea is a good one for medium amounts of smallish files
(/etc comes to mind). Once big hunks like videos are involved, things
get sluggish.

Try doing "time sha1sum foo" where foo is an 1.2G video file to see
what I mean.

Cheers

I have a now old Sony Handicam, about halfway between never twice same color and modern hidef, its mpeg output is quite compressed, but a 22 minute wedding is 30 G's of raw video. I had to use kino and edit pretty heavily to make it fit on a single layer dvd. An sha1sum would have been around 35 minutes on this machine but that was nearly 20 years ago on a 500 meg K-III cpu.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis