Re: XFCE4 without panels

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:58:48 -0400
<paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 17:20:01 +0100
> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>
> > Is this a matter of principle for the OP, or does the panel
> > interfere with something else? I have three panels, and for me they
> > are the main point of running a DE rather than just a window
> > manager. But one of them contains an analogue clock and nothing
> > else (because I want it wider than the other two panels), and if
> > the OP just wants to get rid of the program launchers and other
> > widgets in the usual panel(s), this could be done to satisfy the
> > 'at least one panel' requirement. Or a CPU monitor or something
> > else useful if the clock isn't wanted. And it can be set to
> > auto-hide so you don't even see it unless you deliberately tickle
> > it.
>
> Motivation: I came from i3, where I had a "status bar" at the bottom
> of the screen. I want that back, and I can use polybar for that. Since
> I have a 1920x1080 monitor, and I want icons for my frequently used
> apps on the left, vertically. Tint2 will do that. I use XFCE4 for two
> reasons: 1) it is one of the least memory hungry window
> managers/desktops environments, 2) it has a path toward Wayland,
> which I would like to switch to some day.
>
> I believe The XFCE panel will go vertical, but it doesn't work right.
> I just want a row of icons, period. But I can't figure out how to make
> that happen; I get huge spaces between the icons. If you know how
> that's done, let me know.

I use the Third Option, the deskbar, which gives vertical panels at the
side and as far as I can see, no spaces between anything, unless you
actually place a separator. I use 36 pixels for the launcher panel and
44 pixels, on the other side, for open applications and notifications.
The Applications icon has to be renamed to no more than four letters,
as the text is horizontal in 36 pixels width, I call mine 'Main'. The
panels can be set to a fixed size or to autosize, and I keep the
right-hand one down a bit from the top. Some applications don't know to
keep the panel area clear, and if it's right at the top, I lose the
close widget as the panel stays on top of the application. The panels
can be set to autohide, but I prefer to keep them open all the time.

The analogue clock is 60 pixels wide to make it useful, and I leave it
unlocked. Wherever it is placed it will obscure something at some time,
so I leave it movable.

See if something like that works for you.

--
Joe