Re: swap-fle on arm64, need to disable, how?

On 10/1/23 16:01, hw wrote:
On Sun, 2023-10-01 at 04:31 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/30/23 23:22, hw wrote:
On Sat, 2023-09-30 at 18:29 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/30/23 13:28, Matthias Böttcher wrote:
sudo dphys-swapfile swapoff
sudo systemctl stop dphys-swapfile.service
sudo systemctl disable dphys-swapfile.service

.
However that did give me a clue about getting rid of zram0, which has
been done now, thank you. Now I hope to uncomment the SSD line in fstab.

Well, zram is the way to go; why would you still use swap partitions
or swap files instead?  Are you deliberately trying to wear out your
SSDs or to slow down your computer?

zram is probably the way to go for board with lots of dram. Something
the pi's don't have.

You only need as much RAM as is sufficient for what you're doing.
That's the way to go while having more RAM doesn't hurt much.

Swapping to SSDs is slow.  If it's faster than zram, something must be
wrong.

In an earlier message you're saying RAM isn't an issue.  So why are
you messing with it?

10GB swap on an SSD you're actually tring to use?  Ugh ...  It's maybe
ok for preventing the system from going into some undefined and
undesirable state from running out of memory for instances in which
you're trying to figure out how much RAM you need.  Once you figured
it out, you add sufficent amounts of RAM and use zram.

BTW, how do you prevent breaking the lathe when the pi or the software
fails?  There's things that can go wrong and lathes tend to be rather
powerful tools.  Do you have some device to detect failures and some
kind of break that stops the lathe immediately when something goes
wrong?

There are several checks which can stop lcnc in the next millisecond. They have been well tested, but have yet to do so while working. I am slowly converting all my stepper drivers to closed loop versions, the next generation in motors, which have several advantages over std steppers. First they control motor power with the magnitude of the error, so motors don't run burn your hand hot unless being really pushed. 2nd, they get to where lcnc ends them or if they can't get there, they'll kill the motor power and advise lcnc of the failure which if wired correctly, shuts lcnc down in its tracks a millisecond later. I now have 5 of those motors turning things and that failure has yet to occur while working. I guess I'm sold.

Take care & stay well, hm

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis