Re: usrmerge on root NFS will not be run automatically

Hello,

El dom., 10 sept. 2023 21:55, Marco <lists@homerow.info> escribió:
On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 12:26:38 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> > That is quite an involved task. I didn't expect such fiddling for a
> > simple OS update. I'm a bit worried that the permissions and owners
> > go haywire when I copy stuff directly off the server onto a VM and
> > back onto the server. Is there a recommended procedure or
> > documentation available?
>
> Can you start a temporary VM directly on the server?

I might actually. I'll have to check the following days.

> If so, you can
> * stop your remote Debian machine
> * run a Debian rescue image in the VM on the NFS server
> * have the VM mount the filesystem directly
> * chroot, run usrmerge
> * unmount

Ok, that's also quite a task, but it seems less error-prone than
copying a bunch of system files across the network and hope for the
best. I'll try.

Marco

Maybe you can open a new bug asking for a better documentation or what should be done in this case.

Maybe dpkg -L with both files can help to clarify what should be done

Regards