Re: bookworm and network connections

David Wright wrote on 9/1/23 19:40:

I don't see that the OP is doing anything complicated that requires
rc.local to run at all. They just need to distinguish between the two

Correct. I was simply trying to workaround the problem by putting commands into rc.local that are known to work when I type them manually.

I wish I had never mentioned rc.local. It seems to have taken over the thread, whereas it's not the problem that I'm trying to fix at all :-(

Regarding the whole "Network Manager versus old-style" thing, I would gladly have done it all old style, except that when I first installed debian on the system, it went the Network Manager route. And because that all worked until today's upgrade (which was, I think, the third upgrade upgrade of debian stable on the machine; so it worked correctly for a lustrum or so), I didn't pay much attention to it apart from being mildly annoyed that it looked a lot more complicated than old-style network management.

The real problem remains, per the original post, that Network Manager isn't configuring the interfaces properly and seems to be sort-of setting one interface to be the same as the other, with the result that neither of them work. I'm going to try switching to old-style when I feel confident that I have enough high-quality time to make the switch, and I expect that to work.

It would be nice to really fix the Network Manager misconfiguration; but it seems that the expertise here is all with old-style. Which is fine. I'm happy to go back to old-style.

I probably need to file some sort of bug report against the upgrade, but I'd like to get a better feel for how the misconfiguration is happening before I do that.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans