Was: setting up network q, now no x

On 8/12/23 17:32, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 04:01:49PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
Step one: determine the NAME of your ethernet interface.

eth0

Step two: edit /etc/network/interfaces to bring up this interface with
your desired IP address, netmask, and gateway.  If there's a running
DHCP client daemon (because the installer set it up for DHCP instead
of static addressing), you may need to kill that daemon.  Or, if you're
especially clever, you can bring the interface DOWN, BEFORE editing
the file, which will kill the daemon cleanly.  Most people forget this
step, so they just end up killing the daemon later, with "kill" or
by rebooting.

interface had lo already
added
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.71.55
gateway 192.168.71.2

correct? editor saved to do resolv.conf next

You're missing "auto eth0".

No, I just didn't show it, auto is valid for whatever comes later, so "auto lo eth0" is as good as it gets. And I've no clue where the 1 turned into a 2. its 1 and works.

Are you sure your router's address ends with .2?  Usually networks are
set up with the router at .1.  It's not required, of course.  But it's
unusual for it not to be.

That daemons name?

How the heck would we know?  You're not running Debian.

ps -ef | grep -i dhc

That should cover variants of names like "dhclient" or "dhcpcd".  I guess
"pump" is also a possibility, but I don't think anyone has used pump in
many years.

Or you could just reboot to ensure it dies.

It's good over several reboots.

Now the problem is no X. I used apt to install gnome which was nearly 800 packages of gnome, & which failed majorly on mcollective and its pluggins (whatever the heck that is, no man pages for it and apt cannot now remove them either,) the underlying dpkg is having a cow. Of the top pkg managers, only aptitude will run but that thing has totally destroyed my system 4 times over the last decade and change by not showing me what it was going to do first. So I don't trust aptitude to take the period off the end of a sentence.

Apparently x11 has been totally replaced by xwayland, and xwayland will not allow a package manager to run as root. There is probably a workaround I'm not acquainted with, so I'm DIW and sinking.

I have another bpi running this same jammy and have had no such problems.

Thanks Greg.

I need X running so I can use firefox to go get and build the rest of the software I am building this thing to run.

Next?
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)