Re: Adding backup storage

gene heskett wrote:
> I've an asus mobo with 6 sata ports, 5 are busy.
>
> I also have another 6 port with 4 ports tied up serving a raid 10 for /home.
> That leaves 2 ports empty on that controller.
>
> I have a handful of 2T SSD's. If I can find another 4 pin empty pigtail on
> the psu, I'll plug 2 of these 2T's into that aux controller,
>
> What doc should I follow to bring these 2 drives into one volume managed
> partition for amanda's use as a vtape device? I'd assume the volume
> management works by now, but it was a data losing disaster 15+ years ago
> when I last tried it.
>
> I could, since amanda is quite versatile, set it up as two separate vtape
> drives.  So I'm open to a pro/con discussion.  Thanks all.

Set it up as two drives. There are no advantages to doing it
another way (that preserves all the capacity), only
disadvantages.

If you have the money available, I would consider using an SSD
as a spool drive and a big spinning disk on the other port as
the 'tape'. But maybe you aren't going to need more than 4 TB of
backup storage; I dunno.

-dsr-