Partial Freeze Bullseye Mat

Partial Freeze Bullseye Mate
on occasion while the system is in use, the keyboard and mouse stop responding. in all other respects it appears to continue operating as normal, my conky shows activity, etc.
Keyboard and Mouse use a single USB gizmo.
I am using a KVM switch. when I flip over to either of the two other computers the mouse and keyboard works as normal.

if I momentarily touch the power button it gives the normal 60 second shutdown dialog display and then the splash screen dialog appears normal.

restart and no errors displayed.

this Was intermittent, but the last couple days it's frequent.
I have mate-sensors-applet running on a side panel, it does not indicate excessive heat