Re: configuring zathura's print preview

On 7/9/23 4:40 AM, Brian wrote:
On Sat 08 Jul 2023 at 22:28:52 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

On 7/8/23 3:58 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 13:35:43 -0700
Paul Scott <waterhorsemusic@aol.com> wrote:

Can someone please direct me to documentation for or tell me how to
set what program does print preview for Zathura?  I would Zathura
would be a possibility.
charles@jhegaala:~$ apt-cache show zathura | grep -i homepage
Homepage: https://pwmt.org/projects/zathura
charles@jhegaala:~$

Their documentation is being updated and I didn't see anything about print preview and I now realize that my question may be a question about CUPS and/or the print dialog.

(see below)

(snip)

My problem is discovering whether a PDF will fit well enough on an 8"x11" sheet of paper.
Most PDF viewers will let you see the properties, which should include
the page size. And, depending on your printer software (CUPS on
Debian), you may be able to scale a document.

So far I have found the Zathura "info" command but it doesn't tell me the
page size.
Install poppler-utils and use pdfinfo and pdffonts.
I have those and that helps a lot.  Thank you!
The print dialog does indeed give me the ability to scale.

Another problem I am now having looks like a missing font. Zathura displays
the document (music) fine but when I print (CUPS) some of the graphical
information is missing.

The file displayed by zathura is not the file that is sent to the printing
system. The latter can be viewed by using Print to File.

The print dialog converts your PDF to a new PDF with Cairo Graphics. Scaling
is also done by Cairo Graphics. CUPS is not involved.

That's good to know and seems somewhat illogical!  Would it be reasonable to ask if you know why?

Pdffonts does indeed tell me that there are illegal characters in the PDF created by Print to File.

Now that I know that the paper size is correct I see that "lp" prints my file perfectly.

If the file were not the correct size I would have liked to use the scaling and page choices in the print dialog.

Does

lp -o "letter"

scale the document?

Thank you,