Re: override logrotate.timer from another package?

On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:30:21 +0200
Harald Dunkel <harald.dunkel@aixigo.com> wrote:

> On 2023-07-04 14:36:19, Charles Curley wrote:
>  [...]
> Yes. Its my own metapackage to be installed on all our hosts in the
> office to establish certain configuration standards, like hourly log
> file rotation, our own certificates, a standard set of packages to be
> installed, etc.

Ah, that does change things. Sorry about the incorrect assumption.

> Actually I've got a set of about 50 metapackages for Debian by now,
> describing development hosts, laptop setups, virtualization servers,
> different GUI configurations, VPNs, and so on. This could have been
> done by ansible or others as well, but when I started this there was
> no ansible.

An interesting concept.

> Point is, if I add a config file to
> /etc/systemd/system/logrotate.timer.d using my own package, then it
> seems to be off-limits somehow. The daemon-reload is not run, and
> systemctl revert logrotate.timer will wipe out the file provided by
> my package as well, without confirmation dialog. That doesn't seem
> right.

Right.

Which puts you in a bit of a dilemma. You could create a file under
/lib/systemd, but then you run the risk of some future package update
stomping on your file. I suppose you could give yourself a private
pseudo-namespace, and call the file something like
30.aixigo.hourly.conf.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com