Re: "dpkg-reconfigure" dash no longer works

On Fri, Jun 09 2023 at 01:38:25 PM, S M <mythrowy777@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I noticed on a newly installed system with Debian 12 that
> dpkg-reconfigure no longer allows to switch the /bin/sh symlink from
> dash to bash. This is apparently intentional as per the following:
>
> https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/dash/0.5.11+git20210903+057cd650a4ed-4
>
> I couldn't find any additional context or rationale. I would like to
> know if this is going to be a permanent change. Debian currently
> disables command line editing in dash builds, so that makes it
> unusable as an interactive shell.
>
> Thank you very much for everything.

>From the comments on
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dash/-/commit/c322a1c9fc6be11d7eb4439407c0a398aba8bbb7,
this is intentional and permanent.  /bin/sh pointing to bash is no
longer supported.  Change your login shell to bash, if that's what you
want, using chsh.

--
regards,
kushal