Re: Debian USB Wifi

On 06/06/2023 13:52, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Jun 06, 2023 at 07:57:38AM -0400, Celejar wrote:

[...]

I know that the subject mentions USB, but I was responding to Stefan's
statement regarding "USB or otherwise." He's basically correct, of
course, that there are *virtually* no modern WiFi cards of any sort
that are supported by totally free drivers / firmware, but there are
apparently at least a few that do support 11ac (I'm not sure if there
are any at all that support 11ax).

No first hand experience, mind you -- but this is what my trusty
search engine finds:

   https://www.phoronix.com/news/Realtek-802.11ax-rtw89

TL;DR Realtek contributed a free software driver for the kernel, rtw89,
which was supposed to support Realtek's 11ax line. and aimed at kernel
5.16.

For what it's worth, this thread provoked me to pop along to Amazon and buy a TP-Link TL-WN823N for evaluation. It has Realtek internals and worked straight out of the box (Debian 11 with kernel 5.10.179.1). Of course I had to fetch the appropriate Realtek driver with Synaptic and re-boot, but hey, 5 minutes after the Amazon delivery I was up and running.

Peter HB