Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

Hello to everyone. I follow every day the development of bhyve for FreeBSD and I have even collaborated with some of its developers to add the functionality of the passing through of one nvidia gpu to a linux guest. What to say ? that bhyve is a programming gem. Qemu and kvm have more functionalities but they are even old. Bhyve is a fresh product that is evolving fast. Qemu + kvm for example don't work on my old PC that has an Intel I5 cpu,because it does not have all the virtualization requirements. For the sake of my curiosity I tried bhyve and...it worked. I don't know why,but I know that it requires less virtualization directives. Some developers talked about the idea to rewrite it to make it a standalone tool and I think that's a nice idea. As I think that a cool idea could be to rewrite its code to port it to Linux. It could be used as a light hypervisor,for those old machines like mine,that don't have all the hardware prerogatives needed to run qemu and kvm.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 10:10 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 08:05:18AM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,

[...]

> Most of the time with most packages it's obvious, but I have seen
> some weird things from time to time! KVM is such a big package that
> I shy away from just advising --no-install-recommends to those
> inexperienced with it.

100% agreed. Whoever deviates from the "recommended" way should be
prepared (and willing) to learn a few things on the way. Which may
be a good thing or not :)

Cheers

Mario.