Thunderbird and font size used to display plain text e-mails?

I have looked everywhere I can think of, and have been unable to find an answer -- among the ridiculous number of ways that fonts appear to be controlled in Thunderbird -- that works for this issue :-(

I recently changed to a larger monitor, and, after lots of twiddling, have more-or-less got most programs looking reasonably sensible. But Thunderbird is being recalcitrant.

I am using TB 102.10.0, which is the current version in the debian stable repositories, on 64-bit debian stable.

Here is the issue:

When I open TB, I see three panes: one runs the full height of the TB window, and is on the left of the screen. It contains a list of the TB e-mail folders. The remaining space is divided into two panes, one vertically above the other. The second pane, the top one of these two, shows the subjects of received e-mails in whatever folder is selected in the first pane. The third pane, below the second one, is where the contents of e-mails are displayed.

I have TB configured so as to display incoming e-mail as plain text. They display correctly, BUT the font used to display the contents in the third pane is too large on the new monitor. How *exactly* do I control the size of the font used to display the contents of received plain text e-mails?

That is:

--------------------------------------
|  |                                 | <- how to control font size
|  |                                 | <- in this pane??

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans