Re: Wireshark does not show physical interfaces for capture

Hello

On 2023-04-29 17:33, Lee wrote:
On 4/29/23, Victor Sudakov wrote:
Lee wrote:
On 4/29/23, Victor Sudakov wrote:

[dd]

> However when I startup wireshark from the GUI, it does not show the
> physical interfaces in the list of interfaces to capture from, so I
> cannot really capture anything from the non-root user. When started
> via sudo, it does show enp3s0 and other interfaces and can capture.
>
> What am I missing?

See if the interfaces have been hidden from the GUI.  eg
$ grep devices_hide .config/wireshark/preferences
capture.devices_hide: any,nflog,nfqueue,dbus-system,dbus-session

Nothing much there:

$ grep devices_hide .config/wireshark/preferences
#capture.devices_hide:

Or check from the GUI:
Capture / Refresh Interfaces

Does not add the NICs to the list.

Capture / Options
select the Input tab and click Manage Interfaces
select the Local Interfaces tab and make sure there's a checkmark
under Show for all the physical interface names

I don't see any physical interfaces there, this is all I see:
https://ibb.co/190ytwv

Have you looked at
https://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#capprobunix

I have a vague memory of having to do
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common
a few years ago before I was able to capture packets without using sudo

Good memory, actually. The full steps are

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common # [1]
Should non-superusers be able to capture packets => Yes

$ sudo usermod -a -G wireshark $USER # [1]
$ newgrp wireshark
$ groups # The output should now include "wireshark" group name

1. Or execute these commands as root, if sudo is not installed.

Regards
Lee