Re: OpenCL with Radeon GPU

Hi Jörg-Volker,

On 26.04.23 at 11:34, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
Hi Arno,

Arno Lehmann wrote on 25/04/2023 12:54:
Hi Jörg-Volker,

Am 25.04.2023 um 11:19 schrieb Jörg-Volker Peetz:
In Debian testing I see the package `mesa-opencl-icd`.
I have no experience with opencl and AMD graphic cards but are very interested how it works in Debian.

That's more or less where I am myself... seems a bit too complex for me, at this time ;-)

I'm wondering if package mesa-opencl-icd would do the trick (version 22.3.6-1+deb12u1 like the other installed mesa packages). From the description it seems to be the right package:

That's the package I tried initially which failed all my (limited) testing due to the hardware not being supported.

Mesa 23 is available as experimental, but I did not manage to install that due to dependencies.

In the end, you'll have to test with your particular hardware, I think -- I've not been able to find a reliable and realistic list of working hard- and software combinations.

Current state, by the way, is that I'm fighting with boinc and systemd in this environment. OpenCL reminds me of the (good|bad) days of building my own kernel based upon incomplete information ;-)

Would be fun if I could sink a few days in it.

Cheers,

Arno
--
Arno Lehmann