Re: /etc/fstab question (problem)?

On Wed 19 Apr 2023 at 18:07:51 (+0700), Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 19/04/2023 16:16, David Christensen wrote:
> > On 4/18/23 20:16, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >
> > > You can also do
> > >
> > >      mount --bind / /mnt
> > >
> > > and then look at /mnt/tmp.
> > > No need to reboot into single-user mode for that.

Yes, whichever method you're most comfortable with. Not using
bind mounts for anything that they're required for, I find
them "complicated".

> > +1  I like that better than the reboot/ live drive idea I posted.
>
> I think, it is the case when reboot is safer. Open file descriptors
> remain on the original partition. However I do not expect that single
> user mode or booting from live image is required. Just restore
> original /etc/fstab and reboot.

I was merely posting the results of a thought experiment. In reality,
I can just cleanup /tmp on one root filesystem whenever I happen to
have booted into the other system on the same disk (which always exists).

But the point of my post was that past evidence from this list shows
that people have run systems with significant disk usage hidden from
them by being mounted over, and all because they didn't think to look.

> Perhaps update-initramfs is necessary after restoring of /etc/fstab in
> any chosen approach.

I've never seen /etc/fstab other than empty inside an initrd. Maybe
it's init-scheme dependent, IDK.

Cheers,
David.