Re: Apt sources.list

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 01:23:05PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sat 15 Apr 2023 at 08:11:17 -0400, paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
>
> > Folks:
> >
> > Here is my sources.list file:
> >
> > ---
> >
> > deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ bookworm main contrib non-free
> > deb-src http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ bookworm main contrib non-free
> >
> > deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main
> > contrib non-free deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main contrib non-free
> >
> > ---
> >
> > According to https://www.debian.org/releases/, bookworm at this time is
> > "testing". But when the next release comes, bookworm will still be
> > bookworm, but "testing" will be bookworm "plus". I'd like to follow
> > testing, regardless of the status of Debian official releases.

I would really not advise that. The changes as one distribution rolls to
stable and the next one becomes testing are quite major - also, things
change (like sources.list files).

I would suggest that you remain on bookworm until bookworm is released as
stable. At that point (and only then) change bookworm to trixie and carry
on. As soon as bookworm is released, there will be massive churn.

Stable, testing, unstable are mutable: distribution code names are not.
There's a reason why Debian switched to codenames early - there never was
a Debian 1.0 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history
and https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater