Re: how to change default nameserver?

On 4/9/23 11:04, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Apr 09, 2023 at 04:53:17PM +0200, zithro wrote:
- Either you use DHCP, and the DNS will be provided by the DHCP server, so
don't touch resolv.conf (the DHCP server CAN provide 127.0.0.1 as DNS
server)
- or you use static addressing, and you can simply remove the dhcp-client
package, so resolv.conf will be left alone.

That's not always true.  Sometimes you want the IP address from DHCP,
but you want to provide your own DNS.  There are LOTS of scenarios where
this is desirable.

That's why this is such an important topic, and why it keeps coming up
over and over again.

That's why we have a wiki page which describes several different solutions,
so that each sysadmin who runs into this problem can find a suitable one.

https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf

.
Thank you for that link Greg.

This explains it better than I do, but if history is any indicator, it will be made useless by bookworm. Thanks Greg, it may contain some clue as to why printers on this machine, all marked shared, cannot be used by other bullseye installs, Other buster installs however can use them just fine. My logs claim the client is not sending any authorization. Yet all clients claim DefaultAuthorization is Basic.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis