Re: how to limit a CPU temperature?

On 4/8/2023 8:01 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 4/8/23 07:17, songbird wrote:
   i have a program that has changed it's behavior to suddenly
become a CPU hog (while doing something simple like uploading
files for my website).  probably a bug, but it got me to
wondering how i could limit the CPU temperature to a range
well below the maximum that kicks in by the CPU itself.

   i have an intel processor and it has the MAX which does
prevent it from going higher (100C), but i'd like to keep it
at 70C or lower.

   i've been trying to find anything that will let me set this
but no luck yet in my searches.

   thanks!  :)

   songbird

Assuming the computer had a proper thermal solution when assembled, the 100 C processor temperature indicates that the thermal paste between the processor and its heat sink has gone bad.  I suggest replacing it with silver-based thermal paste.

New paste yes, silver no.  That's out-of-date.  Silver is conductive.  Silver paste is not superior to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Arctic (maker of the most popular silver paste) MX-6. You want non-conductive, non-capacitive paste.

Mark Allums