Re: cups not sharing printers with other bullseye machines

On 4/8/23 02:40, Gareth Evans wrote:
On Sat  8 Apr 2023, at 03:20, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
Greetings all;

Where do I turn on cups debugging so I'll see every bit of traffic
addressed to cups from my local 192.168/xx.yy network?

The problem is: other buster machines on this local network can see and
use the two brother printers just as if the printer was local to that
buster machine.

But no bullseye, debian or armbian can see anything at
localhost:631/printers except the search screen when there are no printers.

These printers are marked as shared in this bullseye machines /etc/cups
files.

There's a new roadblock someplace, I've asked about before. I'd like to
find it.

Buster machines can, other bullseye machines can't.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
   - Louis D. Brandeis

Hi Gene,

Not sure if CUPS debugging may be helpful, see eg.

https://sysadminera.com/2020/09/10/linux-how-to-enable-and-capture-cups-debugging-logs/

I'll look at this, thank you.

But first, I seem to recall you removed avahi and cups-browsed from Bullseye machines.  Is that correct?  Do the Buster machines have either or both of those installed?

No for avahi, not sure about browsed. Yes cups-browsed is installed on the buster machines. 4 of my machines are still on buster because the changes in python3 aren't yet compatible with linuxcnc, which is those machines main application. Bookworm will I think fix that.

What are the exact models of the Brother printers "missing" from Bullseye systems?

Brother MFC-J6920DW, Brother HL-L2320D_series.
The ink squirter 6920 is a total disaster when cups try's to drive it, cups does not acknowledge that it has 2 supply trays and a rear port for tabloid paper. Its a monster sized machine, scanner can do tabloid also. Let cups drive it, no color controls, and only paper it knows about is the 50 cents a sheet glossy photo stuff in the top tray. 300 sheets of decent duplex copy paper in the bottom tray is ignored.

In this case, printers not well supported by cups, but which work to their full capability's with brothers own linux drivers, which they supply for their users. But cups won't allow them to be used unless cups-browsed is removed from this machine, it overrides any attempt to use the brother drivers. so browsed has been removed from bullseye machines.

Avahi too, but for a different network wrecking reason, it insists on assigning your routing address to the non-existent 169.xxx.yy.yy thing. So your routing of 192.168 for your local network is out of scope. Most frustrating, can't even ping your router, 6 feet of cat6 away...

Do other printers appear on Bullseye systems?

No, its a blank screen with a search line for printers when printers menu is selected. Just to confirm, I just put cups-browsed back on one of the armbian machines, localhost:631/printers is empty, rebooted it, still empty. Also, the avahi bug has been fixed, it no longer overrides your attempt to set the local route, so both are running, I checked with htop, but no shared printers are seen.

Thanks,
Gareth

Thank you Gareth, take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis