Re: No /

On Mon 13 Mar 2023 at 18:30:00 (+0100), Michael Lee wrote:
> Hello Tom, thanks for the reply. Good detective work.
>
> No, actually not; it's the SSD with the Debian on it.

My detective work is limited to putting 1 and 1 together, your
posts in this case. Anyway, let's hazard a guess at what the
scenario might have been.

1 Debian 11 was running from sdc2 as root (ie /, not /root).
2 You removed a USB stick without unmounting it.
3 You typed reboot (or equivalent) intending to run another OS,
  but things didn't get that far.
4 Closing down Debian 11 was taking too long, maybe because of 2.
5 You powered off by holding down the power button.
6 You now get the symptoms described earlier.

So would this be roughly equivalent to how one should recover
a BTR filesystem's integrity after a power cut happens?

If this is so, it might be worth describing things in those terms,
and posting under a Subject like:

  Recovering a BTR filsystem after a power outage.

As for the last clause of your earlier post, I think you'd have
to give some idea of the disposition of your Debian system;
whether directories are spread over more than one partition,
and hence which settings would be affected were you to reinstall.

Cheers,
David.