Re: Partitioning an SSD?

On 2023-02-16 at 05:45, Nicolas George wrote:

> DdB (12023-02-16):
>
>> Am 16.02.2023 um 09:31 schrieb Felix Miata:
>> > None of the 25 or so SSDs/NVMEs I have have 4k sectors. e.g.
>>
>> Wow, they must be rather old, then. ;-)
>>
>> I know, i am not the only one ...
>> https://serverfault.com/questions/1113068/how-to-find-page-size-of-my-ssd
>
> Of course you are not the only one. But the real answer was to be found
> in another random stackoverflow forum:
>
> When you have 512 octets logical sectors and 4096 octets physical
> sectors, you really have eight logical sectors in a physical one, it
> matters to align the small ones inside the big ones.
>
> But with blocks of flash memory, there is not constant nor regular
> mapping of sectors to blocks, so the information about the block size is
> not useful outside of the disk controller.

I'm already confused by the way terminology is being used in this
conversation (and I wouldn't be surprised I wasn't the only one), but
this is just "huh?" to me.

My understanding is that with SSDs it's even *more* important to keep
filesystems et cetera aligned to physical blocks, because physical block
size defines the minimum size that can be erased (and, therefore,
overwritten) in any given operation, and therefore impacts both wear
rates and write speeds in what is potentially a very serious way.

The way I interpret what I read you as having written, here, is that on
the contrary block sizes can be completely disregarded because the disk
controller will handle all of that alignment stuff internally.

This being the very first time I can remember having encountered even
the suggestion that there's no need to be concerned about erase-block
sizes when dealing with SSDs et cetera, I hope it's understandable that
I'd want to get things clarified.

--
   The Wanderer