Re: reportbug: don't know: bug in apt [list] or in grep

19.01.23, 09:10 +0100, js-priv@online.de:

Hello together,
listing packages in apt with ”sudo“ in the title returns different output (bash commands at the end of the email). I would fill a bug report, but I'm not sure whether to address it to grep or apt. How do you see this?

To me it seems there's neither a bug in apt nor in grep but rather in your regular expressions.

Kind regards
Julian Schreck
--
$ apt list sudo*   vs.  $ apt list | grep "^sudo[a-z-]"

The former also matches "sudo", the latter RE does not - it matches ex. "sodoa" or "sudo-".

$ apt list *sudo   vs.  $ apt list | grep "[a-z-]sudo/"

The former also matches "sudo", the latter RE does not - it matches ex. "bsudo" or "-sudo".

$ apt list *sudo*  vs.  $ apt list | grep "sudo"

This might give the same results.

BTW: using unquoted wildcards in parameters to shell commands is most often a bad idea (unless they are really meant to be file name patterns).

--
Regards
  mks