Running Windows on a VM: getting files from the original Windows host

In a previous thread you fellow Debianites gave me excellent advice on running Windows on a VM running on a Debian host. Now I have my shiny new Debian Silent PC host quietly waiting.

I intend to try to copy data from the old Win box via the network but, if that doesn't work, can I do this:

Take the SSD from the old Win box, mount it in a hot-swap slot on the Debian host, and use it with the freshly-installed Windows VM? The Win SSD has two drives defined: C: and D: with my important data on the D: drive.

Thanks.

-Tom