Re: latest testing update broke my laptop

On 2022-12-19 23:38, Gary Dale wrote:
On 2022-12-16 21:29, Gary Dale wrote:
My laptop no longer boots thanks to the latest update.

If you want a GNU/Linux distribution that "just works", one possibility is Debian Stable and "supported hardware".  The former is easy -- download a d-i ISO.  The latter can be anywhere from trivial to impossible to determine a priori; the practical answer is install and find out.

What is the manufacturer, model, and part number of your computer? What options does it have?  What components have you added, changed, or removed?  What external hardware is connected? Do you have a broadband Internet connection?

What d-i media did you use?  Where did you get it?  Did you verify the checksum of the download and/or media?

Thanks David, but as I explained, Debian/Stable doesn't "just work". You need the second part of your condition, but it's hard to know if hardware is supported until you try it. And what doesn't work one week may work the next.

I don't blame Debian in this case. It's clearly an nVidia problem. Normally I stay away from them when getting something for Linux, but I got a great Black Friday deal. That's why I even got a new laptop to begin with. Apart from the nVidia components, it seems to work fine.

Added nothing - just removed the Windows partitions and installed Linux.

As I explained, I used Debian netinst copied to a Ventoy USB. What was strange is that Stable has no problem installing (just problems running) but Testing seems to get hung up with the networking (when I tried a graphical install, it at least showed that was what it was doing. The text based installer flashed something on the screen but never got around to doing more than the background colours - no text or progress bar - so I wasn't sure what it was doing). Also the current testing alpha netinst iso doesn't seem work with Ventoy, which meant I had to dd it to its own usb stick. And yes, I only download the files from debian.org.

Have you tried finding the Debian Testing netinst checksums? You can find them for the weekly builds if you look hard enough but not the ones for the Alpha release. I thought maybe the alpha release would be a little more stable than a weekly build....

I can confirm that the problem with FAT32 was fixed by a reboot. I don't reboot every day normally,

The laptop is an ASUS FA506ICB. I'll be filing a bug report or three later. Yesterday I just needed to get it working again, but I wanted to document the pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth - I suspect I may have to do this again...

STFW "ASUS FA506ICB linux" I am not seeing any promising hits. I would re-install Windows, run Debian Stable in a VM, STFW periodically, wait for a post by someone who succeeds running a GNU/Linux distribution on that machine, and try again.

David

You didn't read what I wrote. I've actually got it running quite well. The only thing is that it seems to need the proprietary nVidia drivers - the Nouveau ones won't cut it. Also, there seems to be an issue with sddm - gdm3 and lightdm both work.

I can recommend the laptop as a reasonable candidate for Linux. Apart from the need for proprietary drivers, which is something I blame nVidia for, it seems to work perfectly.

Actually, there is something else that doesn't work that doesn't bother me too much - the usb-c port doesn't work.