Re: Debian failed

On Sun, 2022-12-04 at 18:42 -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2022 at 5:30 PM hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:

> > > If Jeffrey is right - and Debian stable will install, then install the 6.0 kernel from backports and a more up to date firmware?
> >
> > Thanks, if I try again, that would be worth a try.
>
> Yeah, a newer kernel is probably worth a try. The 5.8 kernel may work.
> The 5.15 kernel will work based on my experience.
>
> For completeness, here is the mini-pc I was having trouble with:
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2RHXLDK . It is described as 'AMD Ryzen 5
> 5560U with AMD Radeon Graphics'.
>
> [...]
> The thing that kept tripping me up was:
>
> # lspci | grep -v 'bridge:'
> 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> [AMD/ATI] Device 1638 (rev c3)
> 04:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 1637
>
> Device 1638 was supposed to use amdgpu driver per [1,2]. But it didn't
> - it used an old ati driver. I did not realize the 5.4 kernel was too
> old. The 5.4 kernel lacked Cezanne support.
>
> [1] https://drmdb.emersion.fr/devices?driver=amdgpu
> [2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU

IIRC, I got the amdgpu module to load and it still didn't detect the
graphics card right.

How can Debian be so old?  I thought I could use it for workstations and
servers, but when it can't even work right with a relatively old
graphics card, its usefulness becomes very questionable --- and it
leaves me without a good alternative.