Re: Questions about installing Debian on a laptop

On 12/5/22 10:47, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:

On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 3:37 AM Timothy M Butterworth <timothy.m.butterworth@gmail.com <mailto:timothy.m.butterworth@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Sun, Dec 4, 2022 at 2:41 PM David Christensen
    <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com <mailto:dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>> wrote:

        On 12/4/22 05:52, Gabor Urban wrote:
         > Hi,
         >
         > I am planning to install Debian on a laptop the first
        time.That will not be
         > my first installing but I never used notebooks for that. I
        have found a lot
         > of useful information but I would like to have some guidance
        at the start.

         > What are the most important issues selecting a laptop I
        should be mindful
         > about?
         >
         > Thanks in advance,

I have a Ryzen 7 4700U 8 core processor with Radeon Graphics. I am running Debian Testing because Debian Stable does not have working HDMI sound drivers

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PC72314/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PC72314/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

This Laptop requires non-free firmware for: WiFi, Sound, Video etc. As long as you do not mind running binary blobs I recommend it. The price is good for the performance.

Hi Timothy,

in case this Radeon video card is integrated in CPU, would you share your experience with it as usability and performance?

Kind regards
Georgi