Re: drive controller Q?

On 9/14/22 20:06, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/14/22 19:50, David Christensen wrote:
On 9/14/22 11:40, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

Does anyone have experience with this controller card?

https://www.newegg.com/p/14G-04YB-00003?Item=9SIB2XHHUE3880

Specifically, whats my chances of moving an existing software raid10's 4 Samsung 1T's to it, and then attaching 4 more 2T drives to it too, to create a separate 4T raid-10 for amanda?

Backup the contents of the 4 @ 1 TB RAID before making any changes; just in case.

Unforch, until I get another raid-10 going, I have nothing big enough to back it up to.
228G currently used.
I currently have 1 extra 1T Samsung and an empty sata socket though.

Please confirm that you are using Linux md for software RAID.
yes.

As others have mentioned, a PCIe 2.0 1x connection (500 MB/s) may become a bottleneck for intensive RAID operations, such as copying the 4 @ 1 TB RAID10 to the 4 @ 2 TB RAID10, scrubbing a RAID, replacing/ resilvering RAID drives, etc..  I expect Amanda will be limited by HDD seek time and/or Gigabit Ethernet, not by PCIe 2.0 1x bandwidth.

That would probably bother me eventually. Amanda would need 5 drives, cuz it uses a dedicated holding disk and completes the DLE to it, before moving the completed DLE to the vtape. A decided advantage in terms of preventing a real tape from being shoe shined to death, but relatively unimportant in this case. I had amanda backing up my whole local network until those two seagates puked and choked to death on it. But with 3d printers, I now have added 2 rock64's and killed one old Dell with a lightning strike since.

That disk can co-exist on the mobo's ports.  And has, its still there in fact. Unmounted, sdb.
Shows up in a blkid scan.

Let me acquire the drives and we can continue this later.

Thanks David

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Lightning strikes getting into residential electrical systems is extremely dangerous. I suggest that you address that first -- upgrade to a grounded electrical system if you have an ungrounded electrical system, install lightning arresters, etc., at the electrical service entrance, use surge suppressors between electrical receptacles and equipment, etc.. Most importantly -- stay away from electrical equipment during a lightning storm; watch for fires!

4 @ 1 TB HDD RAID10 seems like overkill for 228 GB of backup data.

Rather than buying four 2 TB HDD's, I would buy three mobile racks:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/drw150satbk

Install the extra 1 TB HDD into the first mobile rack tray and install the bay in the server. Now it is easy to backup (or restore) Amanda, or whatever.

I would then convert the 4 @ 1 TB HDD RAID10 into a 2 @ 1 TB HDD RAID1, and put the other two 1 TB HDD's into mobile rack trays. Now you can have three backups of your backups in rotation. This will provide good protection against crashed drives, lightning, etc..

David