Re: drive controller Q?

gene heskett wrote:
> On 9/14/22 14:55, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > gene heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > Does anyone have experience with this controller card?
> > >
> > > https://www.newegg.com/p/14G-04YB-00003?Item=9SIB2XHHUE3880
> > >
> > > Specifically, whats my chances of moving an existing software raid10's 4
> > > Samsung 1T's to it,
> > > and then attaching 4 more 2T drives to it too, to create a separate 4T
> > > raid-10 for amanda?
> > >
> > > Without any data loss if possible?
> > I don't have any experience with this one. I don't know what
> > SATA chipset it is using, but there aren't many that the kernel
> > doesn't already support.
> >
> > That said, it is a straight SATA3 board, not a RAID board, so
> > there will be no difficulty in moving mdadm, btrfs or zfs RAIDs
> > over to it.
> >
> > I would point out that you can't actually fit 16 x 3Gb/s worth
> > of bandwidth over one PCIe lane; if this is v1 PCIe, you have a
> > total of 250MB/s available. That's probably fine for four
> > spinning disks doing backup duty.
> >
> > Here's a 4-port model with named PCIe v2 support and a
> > recognizable SATA chipset, for slightly less money:
> >
> > https://www.newegg.com/syba-si-pex40064-sata-iii/p/N82E16816124064?Item=N82E16816124064
> >
> > -dsr-
> > .
> I looked at that one too, Dan, but I've filled up the back panel with usb
> breakouts and it will
> take a major re-arrangement to clear a pic-e slot. This mobo only has two,
> and another drive
> controller like this 4 port is already in the other slot.  Not saying it
> can't be done, but
> will be a pita to do. There is also a 6 port onboard controller that I might
> be able to use
> for the 2nd raid. With a boot drive, and a buffer drive for amanda, and 4
> 2T's on it that would
> fill it up. I've got a usb3 optical drive that burns a dvd now and then so I
> can do away with the
> sata drive if push comes to shove. Or the accessory card for the /home
> raid-10 is a 6 port with
> 2 empty sockets.
>
> Can I make a 2nd raid 10 from two separate controllers? 2 drives on the mobo
> controller and 2 on the
> plugin controller? I'd think that could lead to mix-n-match problems given
> udevs penchant for
> shuffling drives.
>
> Too many options......

The glory of software RAID over SATA3 is that they don't have to
be on the same controller at all. All the clever systems put
identifiers on each of the participating drives and you can
assemble the RAID without necessarily knowing where all the
parts are -- they will be found.

(This is definitely the case for mdadm and ZFS, probably less so
for btrfs, and possibly not at all true for LVM.)

-dsr-