Re: Windows on VMware on Deb 11: safely usable?

On 2022-08-17 12:53, Tom Browder wrote:
Unfortunately, I have to have a Windows host. I have given up dual hosting because of the pain, so I am using a dedicated Win 10 box and a Deb laptop.

I would love to run Windows on a VM on Debian iff I can have it be reliable enough to use with reasonable response (no games, just Office 360, IO Drive, H&R Block, and such). I haven't kept up with the VM world but a quick search shows VMware might be a good choice.

Anyone using such a rig for the real world (i.e., not testing or as a hobby)? If it is reliable, I plan to get a hefty SilentPC to run my primary digital duopoly.

Thanks.

-Tom

I used to run Windows in a commercially licensed VMWare environment for my business. I also have used VirtualBox for years for the same purpose. However, a couple of years back I switched to libvirt and never had any problems with it (that weren't of my own doing).

It *does* take a bit more time to really understand all the features, but it is worth your time. There is good documentation available, but I had to read some of it multiple times to get my head around it. Not because the docs were bad, but it is complex and written for people that already do have some experience in that area (I feel). There is a separate GUI, if you think that suits your needs (with the imaginative name Virtual Machine Manager).

I run a fully patched Windows 10 Pro in libvirt at the moment on a machine with 32 cores and 64 GB of RAM and it is speedy and stable enough for my needs (hosting a learning environment for my students).

I'd say: give it a go!

Grx HdV