Re: Bash script problem

hi all;

I really appreciate all of your help. The file now works. See attached. Now t0 answer some questions.

First, the IFS command sets the string separator. The default values are space /n and one other. The / is not among them. If I don't set the delimiter before I do the read, the whole string is read into the first array slot. Not what I want. Also, it may be bad practice to set this globally but if it starts to cause trouble later I can just reset it to the default values.

Second, why am I separating out the Path the way I am doing? I need to check each level for existence then, if the level doesn't exist, create the directory, cd to the directory, set chown and -x chmod. After that check the next level and repeat the process until I run out of levels. There are other things that need to be done with files that are similar.

I want to use this .sh file to automatically set up the Amanda backup system . I just got burned bad because of no backup.(dumb I know). I've had so much trouble setting up backup systems that I gave up the last time. I want to write this procedure once and store it away on a flash drive so that the next time I get a major crash I can pull out the flash drive and restore things easily. The code that I furnished is a test bed for part of the working file and will be incorporated into a function in the final program. My approach may not be very elegant but if it works, frankly, I don't care.

To all of you:  The problem, as several of you pointed out, was with the if statement syntax. It is now fixed and is working fine. A copy is attached.

All of you help has been sincerely appreciated.

Gary R.