Re: How do I permanently disable unattended downloads of software/security updates?

On Vi, 04 iun 21, 16:24:32, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 07:59:31AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > 3) Calling "systemctl disable" only works for *services*,
>
> That not how it works, actually.
> systemctl disable can be used to disable any timer, but you have to
> specify it explicitly. I.e.
>
> systemctl disable apt-daily.timer
>
> Running "systemctl disable" on a service that's called by timer should
> do nothing indeed.

Agreed.

On the other hand disabling the systemd timer might not have the desired
effect if an equivalent cron job exists as well and cron is installed
(by default it is).

Side note: cron jobs that have an equivalent systemd timer should check
if running under systemd and do nothing. On my system
/etc/cron.daily/apt-compat does contain such a check, but maybe I missed
some other cron job that might be invoked, I've lost track of what else
was mentioned in the thread.

Kind regards,
Andrei