Re: Debian statistics about the contributing entities?

On Saturday 01 May 2021 08:57:28 Marco Möller wrote:

> Hello,
> Do we have for Debian some statistics about who (companies,
> institutions, universities, private volunteers, ...) are contributing
> to Debian, i.e. as package maintainers, admins, maybe Debian specific
> code programmers, and alike? I found the list of the Debian
> Developers, but this is only names not indicating which company
> (money) might be behind the names. Maybe this is summarized in a
> statistics about funding or sponsoring or supporters of the Debian
> project?
> I recently saw statistics about who contributes to the Linux kernel
> (private volunteers summarized as a group vs the 20 most lines of code
> contributing companies by their name), which kind of shows its
> independence (or not) from singular commercial players and am now
> curious if there is some alike data about Debian available.
> Thanks! Marco.

Since RH went to a per seat fee for support, which it seems has been
succesful at funding RH, and "tainted" the free software scene, the rest
of the distro's have clammed up about financing, and TBT, I don't think
its any of our business to even ask the question.

That said, if the 2 "projects" I use the most of, debian being one of
them, do have to pass the hat or disappear, it doesn't bither me a bot
to setup an annual support fee payable to whoever writes the checks for
debian to keep the lights on.

Basically, those who use it, should support it, including monetarily if
asked. Unforch international law variations makes that much more legally
difficult than it should. Until I see the hat coming my way, its none of
my business.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis