Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On 8/3/2020 10:14 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 12:40:03PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
Anyone currently using OpenMediaVault, or have recommendations for
another package, or advice, in general, on homebuilt NAS?

My advice is to keep it boring and mundane, and avoid the temptation
to try some flashy technology Just Because. (I put ZFS in that category,
personally; and BTRFS). My NAS runs stock Debian and I've documented it
here: <https://jmtd.net/hardware/phobos/>

I concur. One area in wich I disagree is your decision not to employ RAID. As you very properly comment in the linked page, RAID is not a backup. They are *VERY* different things. Therefore both,in my estimation, are absolutely required. Of course, any time a data target exceeds the readily availabe maximum spindle size, the question is moot. RAID then must be deployed in order to obtain the necessary repository size. I would never deploy any server or workstation, however, without both a RAID solution (usually several) and a backup solution (again, usually several). My main server's data is backed up every morning by a nearly identical backup server using rsync, which in turn is backed up in its entirety on a multi-volume offline, off-site hard drive set using DAR every few months. All the boot systems employ two disk RAID 1 mirrors and all the data repositories consist of 5 - 8 spindle RAID 6 arrays.