Re: Why do I have so many packages to upgrade with Debian 10.4?

On Mon 11 May 2020 at 19:49:34 (+0200), didier gaumet wrote:
> Le 11/05/2020 à 19:12, l0f4r0@tuta.io a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > 10 mai 2020 à 23:24 de didier.gaumet@gmail.com:
> >
> >> I am not sure of it but perhaps this is linked to the absence of
> >> proposed-updates in your sources.list:
> >> https://www.debian.org/releases/proposed-updates
> >>
> > Isn't proposed-updates designed to containing packages that should reach stable-updates afterward?
> [...]
>
> from what I understand (perhaps wrongly) from the above link, no, it
> would mean that stable-proposed-updates packages are bugfixes to be
> included in stable at the next point release date"...
>
> stable-updates contains bugfixes that cannot wait next point release:
>   https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

I think the intention is that proposed-updates is for software fixes
that need testing before being accepted into stable, whereas
stable-updates is for updates in information like virus patterns,
dates when clocks change, and so on, that can go straight in.
So most 'ornery' people will follow the latter but not the former.

Cheers,
David.