Re: How to start offlineimap systemd

On Sunday, 3 May 2020 06:28:11 PDT jose.wo@posteo.net wrote:
> Hello all!!
>
> I'm sorry if my question is terribly simple but I'm a new debian
> user. I have always been an archlinux user but now I've decided to
> give debian buster a try.
>
> Everything is working smoothly except offlineimap. Actually I works
> well, the problem is that I can't start the systemd service.
>
> I've tried like this:
>
> systemctl --user start offlineimap
> Failed to start offlineimap.service: Unit offlineimap.service not
> found.
>
> You can see that the service is not found. I have also tried starting
> with socket activation but it is the same.
>
> Is there anything obvious I'm not seeing?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Jose.

Hello Jose

If you look at list of files in offlineimap package in Archlinux[1] and
compare the same with Debian [2] you will notice that Archlinux installs
some unit files in:

    usr/lib/systemd/user/offlineimap-oneshot.service
    usr/lib/systemd/user/offlineimap-oneshot.timer
    usr/lib/systemd/user/offlineimap-oneshot@.service
    usr/lib/systemd/user/offlineimap-oneshot@.timer
    usr/lib/systemd/user/offlineimap.service
    usr/lib/systemd/user/offlineimap@.service

while Debian does not. So `systemctl --user` is looking for unit files in
specific locations and it does not find one.

Debian installs these unit files to examples directory:
    /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/examples/systemd/README.md
    /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/examples/systemd/offlineimap-oneshot.service
    /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/examples/systemd/offlineimap-oneshot.timer
    /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/examples/systemd/offlineimap-oneshot@.service
    /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/examples/systemd/offlineimap-oneshot@.timer
    /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/examples/systemd/offlineimap.service
    /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/examples/systemd/offlineimap@.service

Check out Archlinux' wiki page [3] about systemd and user configurations.
I think all you need to do is to copy one of the example unit files to the
location where systemd expects it. But definitely give
    /usr/share/doc/offlineimap/examples/systemd/README.md
a read

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/offlineimap/
[2] https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/offlineimap/filelist
[3] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User