Re: Minor problems with PPPoE

On Tue, 2020-02-11 at 17:14 +0000, John wrote:
> I run a small LAN (currently about 10 active members) all connected to
> the Internet via a Debian Buster firewall and PPPoE.  Most of the time
> this is stable and transparent but just on occasion (like last night)
> the PPP link goes down and I have to restart it manually when I notice
> the issue.  This brings up two problems.
>
> 1:
[...]
> 2:  Ideally I would like PPP to restart after a break without manual
> intervention.  Following advice earlier I have in the
> /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file the lines
>                             persist
>                             holdoff 1
> which used to give some resilience but at 4am today it did not.  Is
> there a simple way to restart automatically that works?

I don't have to restart my ppp manually. Looking at the notes I made
when I set this up many, many years ago I have...

  Edit /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider to add a line saying "maxfail 0",
  after the 'persist' entry is a good place. This should stop pppd from
  timing out when it can't connect.

Also, my 'pppd' logging goes to /var/log/messages, so if you're trying
to debug your connection you could try looking there.

--
Tixy