graphics woes :-(

Running debian stable (64 bit).

For the past couple of months I've been trying to get a system with onboard
Intel graphics to work completely correctly, but have never been able to get
rid of flicker on the console tty or on fine text in konsole in a graphical
desktop. There are enough threads on the Internet about this sort of issue and
the Intel driver to indicate that this is a somewhat common problem with
various combinations of hardware when using an Intel chipset, and although
there is a lot of ad hoc advice, it seems that not everyone can successfully
work around what appears to be a bug in the Intel driver. Having tried all the
suggested fixes I saw, and none of them working, I decided to avoid the issue
by installing a non-Intel graphics card.

A friend gave me an MSI Geforce GTX 750 Ti card, but I am having no success
getting it working.

1. Normally (i.e., when using the Intel hardware/software), after two beeps on
power on I can hit DEL a couple of times and be taken to the BIOS control
screens. With the Geforce card, everything just stays blank (forever) if I hit
DEL after the two beeps. So the first issue is: how can I access the BIOS
control screens when using this card?

2. If I boot with the monitor attached to the Geforce card and don't touch
anything at all, then, after a very long time, I see the stream of Linux text
messages that indicates booting, but I never see a graphical login screen.
(The delay before the messages appear is far longer than a normal boot cycle
-- indeed, I had given up waiting for something to happen and was pondering my
next move when suddenly the messages started flying by). This sounds like
perhaps a driver issue of some kind, so what packages do I need to be sure are
installed to allow booting into a graphical environment with this card?

The one hopeful sign is that when I see that text messages, the text doesn't
flicker... unlike when I boot with the Intel chipset/driver.

I'm sure I'm missed out important information, so feel free to ask and I'll do
my best to answer.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans