Re: how to create debian live usb

On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 12:35:31AM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 04 Jan 2020 at 13:00:04 (+0800), kaye n wrote:
>
> > First I used gparted to format the entire flash drive to fat32.
>
> As Charles pointed out, anything you do before the dd is a waste
> of time because it will be overwritten.
>
> > Then I executed the command in terminal:
> >
> > sudo dd if=debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M; sync
>
> That looks ok.

It does. If someone else says "better use cp" -- they are equivalent.
*BUT* first make sure your USB is not mounted. Those newfangled
desktop environments will "helpfully" mount the file systen on your
USB if there's one. Then it'll be a question of luck whether your
dd or cp will work or not.

So if you insert your stick and can "see" its files in your desktop
environment... BE WARY. Unmount first. Ask here on how to do that.

Cheers
-- t