Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Tue, 2019-09-10 at 07:18 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 09 September 2019 23:06:27 Thomas D Dial wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2019-09-09 at 12:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
(unrelated material omitted)
> > > $PITA problem, raspian insists the first, usr 1000 is
> > > "pi".  Is there a foolproof way to convert that to "gene", or am I
> > > stuck
> > > logging into it as "pi"?
> >
> > I do not know if it is foolproof, but I would try
> >
> > usermod -l gene pi
> >
> > as root (or maybe with sudo; I am not sure that it would work while
> pi
> > is logged in, though).
> >
> > I have used it occasionally, and the only issue is with (mostly
> gnome-
> > related) dotfiles in the login directory that contain the old login
> as
> > a string and after the change need to have that replaced by the new
> > login. An unfortunate number of them are in sqlite files and unless
> > the details are important it probably is easiest to delete them and
> > start over.
> >
> That sounds like its fraught with all sorts of login cockups.
> Inconvenient at best, so I'll probably skip it.

I would not expect it to be a significant on a fairly fresh install (for
instance, if you haven't used the GUI or, maybe, the web browser), where
those dotfiles are few and often empty.

My recollection was that files under .config were the most trouble, that
on a system where the renamed account had been used extensively and had
absolute paths containing the former username in various configuration
files.

Tom Dial.