Re: xsane: incoherent behaviours

On Thu 01 Aug 2019 at 17:13:59 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Jo, 01 aug 19, 08:37:47, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 08:24:22 +0200 (CEST)
> > Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  thank you for tour warning, but it's not too difficult to make a
> > > backup.
> >
> > It's not /quite/ that simple.  I know that the update process is
> > 'clever' enough to detect user made config changes and offer options,
> > but whether that also applies to, in this case, model.dat, IDK.
>
> The only files where one gets a warning are those marked as 'conffiles',
> and they typically reside in /etc (but not all configuration files in
> /etc are 'conffiles').
>
> model.dat being a file in /usr/share it will most likely be overwritten
> without any warning (but I'm too lazy to check).

It certainly will be overwritten if there is a new version of
libsane-hpaio or, for that matter, if that package is reinstalled.
Making a backup of an existing file after changing it isn't really
necessary. A new version of models.dat would likely include data
for newly supported devices, as happens with libsane-hpaio from
stretch backports.

--
Brian.