Re: Debian Perl or Brew Perl for production application?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 09:52:18PM +0530, Didar Hossain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am developing a perl application to be deployed on a production Debian Stable
> VM. So far, my approach has been to use the debian perl packages (perl modules) and
> stay within those facilities. I am the sole system operator and wannabe
> developer, there are no teams of sysadmins or developers.
>
> Do you guys who run production debian stable servers use the debian perl
> packages or use something like PerlBrew? I asked this question on #perl IRC and
> they answered "PerlBrew/plenv/perl-build" - I want some experienced opinions
> from the debian community as well.

I tend to stick to Debian packages as my primary choice, resorting
to off-distribution packages when needed (e.g. not packaged for
Debian, or I /need/ a newer version). Of course it takes some foresight
to guess in advance whether you expect such a situation in the
future.

Rationale: they mesh better with the flow of system updates/upgrades.

I've found Perl packaging in Debian outstanding. The Debian Perl
packaging team does a damn good job indeed.

Cheers
-- tomás