Re: Multitasking, through Multiple Text Windows

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:34 AM Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 09:33:27AM -0500, Kenneth Parker wrote:
<snip>
>play command (sox package) on one of these Virtual Text Terminals.
>
>The reason I am bringing this up now, is that I tried this on Stretch, with
>no Graphical Environment, only to have the Music (playing, through the play
>command /dev/tty3)  *STOP*  *COLD*  when I used alt-F4 to switch
>perspective (say, to /dev/tty4!)
Turns out, there was an Unrelated Issue, all the way back when I installed Stretch.  I made an /etc/fstab error, causing me to not have a Swap Partition.

So I had a Memory Low situation, causing programs on one Console to stop, when I switched Perspective.

When I fixed my Memory and Swap errors, my problem is solved.

Sorry for the length of time between Replies:  I'm pretty busy.

And thank you, Jonathan, for putting me back onto troubleshooting the actual issue.

<snip>

I would research systemd (and/or PAM) "sessions, and "multi seat
support", which is my best guess as to what's happening. I don't think
the process is being stopped, but you are prevented from hearing it's
audio because that VT is no longer marked as an active local session.

I plan to learn SystemD as best I can.  It's here to stay, so make the best of it.

There's some details here
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat/

Thank you.  Very informative!

--