Re: internet outages

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 16:46:43 -0500
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> Oh, I misread that, I thought you wanted a URL for the under $10
> device.  Try googling for time domain reflectometer, I don't think
> you'll find one for even near $80 (but I'd love to be wrong) -- maybe
> a cable loss tester at that price.
>
> Some URLs for under $10 testers (prices have changed ;-)  (Prices are
> a little over $3)
>
>    *
> [[https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocket-LED-Ethernet-4-Port-RJ45-RJ11-Cat5-
> Network-LAN-Cable-Tester-Keychain-
> G6Z5/253214577684?epid=675204148&hash=item3af4c3d414:g:EIsAAOSwuLZY3IhA:rk:1:pf:0]]
>
> From a review of that one:
>
> <quote>
> Excellent cable tester!
>
> Plug in both ends and watch for the lights. It's as easy as that.
> Great for testing Ethernet cables to rule them out as the issue.
> Requires 1x 9v battery.
> </quote>

I have one, but they're not great at testing for intermittents while
you wiggle the cable. But one with lights constantly illuminated isn't
good for spotting incorrect wiring or shorts, so I'm currently making
one with switchable light cycle speed, which doesn't seem to be
commercially available.

--
Joe