Re: Archiving content of a directory on a DVD-R.

*	From: Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org>
*	Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 08:15:13 -0500
> So move them to scripts instead.  Or a single script.

Likely the 2nd (archive build) and 3rd (DVD burn) stages will be
combined after they have worked for a few weeks with no obvious
problems.  The first stage will remain distinct.  No need to burn
multiple DVDs in day. Yes need to sync the SD card to the HDD
frequently.

> Defining your system backup in your end-user account's shell functions
> just seems completely silly and pointless.

System backup is provided by debian.  Eg.
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-9.6.0-i386-netinst.iso
No point in backing a widely available archive.  If the HDD fails,
install another and proceed with *netinst.iso.

My own data is backed of course.  By Backup according to previous
message.

Additional point: work at user status when possible; root status when
necessary.  Arbitrary use of root status opens unnecessary
vulnerability.

> But clearly you're going to ignore all advice I give, so fine.

Not ignoring advice.  Replies concerning pushd, popd, tar and xorriso
have been invaluable.

Thanks,               ... Peter E.

--
Message composed and transmitted by software designed to avoid the
complication, overhead and vulnerability of antivirus software.

123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                                  +1
http://easthope.ca/Peter.html              Bcc: peter at easthope. ca