Re: More info - was [Re: Synaptic fails to fix broken packages]

On Fri 05 Oct 2018 at 22:36:48 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 05 Oct 2018 at 16:17:22 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, October 05, 2018 03:40:09 PM Brian wrote:

> > > I've lost track. Are you using dist-upgrade on stable or unstable?
> >
> > I'm not the OP, but the place where I plan to use (apt-get) upgrade and not
> > dist-upgrade is Jessie (Debian 8).
>
> Debian 8 is obsolete; it doesn't even receive security updates.

That't odd. I just booted up a 2354-package jessie system after
10 days and got 46 security updates and a new kernel (the latter
requiring dist-upgrade, of course). Won't this continue happening
until 2020-06-30?

> dist-upgrade is most unlikely to bring it to its knees.

I can't follow what the fuss is over whether to use upgrade or
dist-upgrade. Normally I just upgrade whenever I'm told (by my cron
job) that  -d upgrade  has downloaded something into the cache; if
I'm then told that packages are being held back, I dist-upgrade.

Cheers,
David.