Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 04:13:30PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:28:35PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:37:48AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > That bandwidth limit is not on your side of the isp, its the bandwidth
> > > from the main trunk lines to the isp. NNTP is a huge bandwidth hog
> > > regardless of how much of it your isp accepts for spooling on local disk
> > > to serve you.
> > >

> > This is not the case.
>
> Yes it is.

No, it's not.

"NNTP is a huge bandwidth hog regardless of how much of it your
ISP accepts for spooling on local disk to serve you."

Your irrelevant text storm is *entirely* about the case when
the ISP tries to accept and propagate binary froups.

Which you then go on to acknowledge:

> full newsfeed hit 1TB/day in the early 2000s, and most of the ISPs who were
> server. At this point I think a full newsfeed is pushing toward 50TB/day.
> In theory you can still use an NNTP client (vs a server) to follow a limited
> number of text-only groups fairly efficiently. In practice there's just not

That theory is practice. I have about five "upstream" NNTP
servers feeding me the groups I want; none of them do binary
groups at all. I pay one of them (ten Euros a year).

-dsr-